Welcome to Coach William's Clipboard! I’m glad you’ve stopped by again, or maybe for your first time to visit! After you’ve read the article, please share it with friends and post it on any of your social media sites as well – especially Facebook!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Have You Found Your Pot of Gold?

“The desire of gold is not for gold.
It is for the means
of freedom and benefit.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson



Let’s talk about Leprechauns and Unicorns. We’ll start with Leprechauns. Why? Because this article is being written in March 2010 – you know St. Patrick’s day. .
Speaking of which – a big Happy Birthday to my Uncle John Kimbrell on March 17th! In his mid 80’s and still has a wonderful sense of humor and a quick wit.

Have you been seeking out that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? Have you found it yet?

Maybe you have and you just haven’t told anyone yet. It seems like there’s not a day go by that we’re not bombarded with yet another “get rich quick scheme” or scam. If I were to take advantage of all those letters from Nigeria telling me I’ve been selected to help someone get their inheritance out of the country and I would get a big percentage of it – I would have at least a BILLION dollars in the bank by now.

Guess what! It doesn’t work that way.

You know why? The answer is the word in the middle of that last sentence – WORK!

Too many people want to get the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but they don’t want to have to put up with the rain, or walk to the end of the rainbow to get it. And then there are those people who say they want to make more money!

Who “makes” money? The government and counterfeiters. So to “make” more money, you either have to get a job at the Treasury Department or run the risk of being arrested and going to prison. Instead of “making” money, the right term to use is “earn” money.

Everything has its limit -
iron ore cannot be educated into gold.”
Mark Twain

Here’s the problem with most people – they want more money, but they don’t want to “Work” to earn it. I wonder how much money the senders of those email scams would earn, if they spent as much time putting forth the effort at a legitimate business or job, as they did trying to steal from someone else?

Several years ago, I received an email from someone who claimed to be coming to town on business and wanted to set up a series of appointments with me while they were in town. Although I was suspicious – don’t know why, I just was – they sounded sincere. We agreed upon my professional fees for a number of sessions.

They agreed to send an advanced down payment of $500 for me to hold the time for them. I was very surprised when the check actually came. But there was a problem – the check was for $5000 instead of $500! The day it arrived, I also got an email from them telling me a new employee in their business department had made a mistake. Of course they suggested a very simple solution -- they wanted me to deposit the check and send them a check for $3500 – keeping $1000 for myself for the inconvenience, as soon as possible so they could get the mistake corrected before anyone found out about the mistake and so as not to get the new employee fired.

Being the upstanding, honest person I am, of course I immediately went to the bank and deposited it and got a cashier’s check into the mail to them that afternoon. I wouldn’t want to be responsible for getting that poor new employee out of a job. They probably have a family with a spouse, four kids, and a dog to support.

To read more go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and thanks for your comments.

Coach William C. Smith